The ME 3030B is one of the first EMF (electromagnetic field) meters I ever bought.
I’m a big fan of Gigahertz Solutions EMF meters. They produce some of the best top end EMF meters on the market. The only trouble with top end meters is that they tend to come with top end prices. Fortunately that’s not the case with this meter…
(If you’re not clear about the dangers of electromagnetic fields (EMF) to your health, you might be interested in reading my review of the scientific research.)
Here is my review of the ME3030B.
The ME3030B EMF meter can measure AC electric and AC magnetic fields. AC means alternating current, this is the type of power running through your homes electrical system, which makes it the ideal meter for checking (EMFs) around the home. Here are some of the EMF sources you can test with this meter:
– computer monitors
– clock radios
– electric ovens
– fluorescent lights
– electrical wiring
– grounding faults on electrical equipment
– electric blankets, and more.
So you can better understand how this meter works and what you can do with this meter here’s a short video of the ME 3030B in action:
Technical Specification of the ME3030B
Frequency Range: 16 Hz – 2 KHz (16 Hz – 2000 Hz)
Measurement range for magnetic fields: 1 – 1999 nT (equates to 0.010 – 19.99 mG)
Measurement range for electric fields: 1 – 1999 Volts/m
Audio function: field strength indicated by “Geiger-counter-effect”
Power supply: 9 Volt battery (included), average operation time 24-36 hours
For full technical specification click here.
What Can’t This Meter Measure?
The ME 3030B can’t measure RF (radio frequency) radiation. So it can’t measure EMFs from devices like cell towers, smart meters, WiFi, digital TV, Cordless (DECT) phones, cell phones etc. If you want to measure this category of EMFs see my reviews on the Cornet meters and the Acoustimeter.
What I Like About The ME 3030B
– it’s simplicity. There are many combo EMF meters around now, which are a little complicated to operate and understand. The ME3030B meter has a really clean and simple design which makes it easy to use.
– it’s sensitivity. The more sensitive an EMF meter is, the better. An EMF meter can give you zero EMF reading simply because it’s not sufficiently sensitive, which is very misleading and possibly dangerous. This is also the main reason high-quality professional meters cost so much more.
– it’s accuracy on the electric field setting. It comes with an earth wire with an alligator clip. You plug the wire into the meter at one end and connect to your ground on your electrical socket at the other (or, if you want to go to the trouble, you connect to a ground stake outside). This might seem like a small detail but it will give you a far more accurate reading – none of the other meters in this price range can do this and so are subject to a higher degree of error.
– the other thing I like is the audio. I do like meters with an audio function. It means you can wander around freely with your meter without having your eyes riveted to the display. Just switch on the audio function and the Geiger counter type clicking tells you as soon as you get near an EMF source. Then you can check out the display to see just how high the reading is. Simple.
– it measures magnetic fields in nanoTesla. Its a niggly little thing really, but for measuring magnetic fields I’m much more at home with milligauss (mG). This meter measures in nanotesla (nT). Its a small point, because you just divide by 100 to go from nT to mG (100 nT = 1 mG). And there is a conversion table on the back. But when you look at the display you have to think….or I have to.
– its a single axis meter. This is not necessarily a disadvantage because in theory you can get more accurate readings by turning the meter round than with a 3-axis meter which just gives you a compound reading.
Where Can You Buy The ME 3030B Meter?
You can buy the Gigahertz ME 3030B EMF Meter here. It comes with a solid 30 day money back guarantee. And it also comes with a 2 year manufacturers warranty.
This meter currently retails at under $150, which is a fair price given what you get.
For the price, the level of accuracy and sensitivity it provides, the ME 3030B is hard to fault. If you want to easily measure low frequency magnetic and electric fields in your home or place of work the ME 3030B meter is a good buy.