Question: how can the World Health Organization (WHO) say on one hand cell phones are possibly carcinogenic and on the other completely ignore cell tower radiation?
Especially when we know its the cumulative effects that are particularly dangerous….remember, unlike cell phones, cell towers emit radiation 24/7.
Professor Girish Kumar of India has been pondering this and other questions relating to cell tower radiation.
Following his campaign, the local government of Gurgaon (a large financial and industrial centre in India), shut down 298 cell towers in a residential areas last January.
He bribed a few officials?
He had friends in high places?
No, none of that.
He just argued a very good case.
Actually he produced an excellent report (several reports in fact) on the dangers of cell tower radiation.
The main one is a reply to a 72 page long report and well worth the read.
Report on the Dangers of Cell Tower Radiation
Just in case you haven’t got time to read it all, here are the the bits I liked:
– if you are living in the main beam of cell phone towers you are exposed to comparatively high radiation levels, you need particular help
– common health complaints of people living in this main beam are headaches, sleep disturbance, memory related disorders, fatigue, buzzing in the head, joint pain, miscarriage, cancer, etc
– the Telecom Industry likes to play down the WHO class 2B carcinogen classification, which also has pickles, coffee, etc. in the list. Radiation from cell phone towers is 24×7, people living in the near vicinity absorb this radiation continuously
– the industry experts claim that “Non-thermal biological effects have not been shown to be a health hazard” is wearing very thin. Non-thermal effects are actually several times more harmful than thermal effects. Pro Kumar has produced a separate 50 page report with nearly 200 technical and scientific references to prove this
– average human life expectancy is approximately 70 years. We should be making EMF exposure guidelines to live safely for at least 70 years
– the sensation of “hot ear” that many people feel when using a cell phone can cause ear tumors; the temperature of the ear lobes increase by 1C when a cell phone is used for 20 minutes or more, this warm sensation/pain can lead to tinnitus and irreversible hearing loss. This can in turn lead to an ear tumor.
– doctors from at least 3 different hospitals (in India) have reported that overuse of cell phones can cause a loss in hearing and also ear tumors especially in teenagers
– if you look in the small print in the user manuals of cell phones the manufacturers are actually giving (discreet) warnings about radiation exposures. Notably for the BlackBerry smartphone the user manual recommends keeping the phone at least 0.98 in. (25 mm) from your body when it’s in use.
– the risk for brain tumors from cell phone use is much higher in young adults when compared to older adults, the Interphone study included only adults between the ages of 30 to 59 years.
– nobody is saying ban cell towers, we know that without antennas the network would not exist and people could not talk to each. What we are saying is “why transmit so much power?”. In India, Telecom operators transmit 20W of power per carrier and they use a number of carriers. Also, antennas of multiple operators are placed on the same roof top or tower to cut down the cost, so cumulative transmitted power is very high. The operators should not transmit more than 1 to 2W of power in the densely populated area.
Cell Tower Radiation – Just One Form of Exposure
I think this is really important information, otherwise I wouldn’t be sharing it with you. Its important particularly if you are in the beam (as described above). But don’t get hung up about cell tower radiation. Instead, concentrate on what you can do, deal with the other sources of EMF radiation FIRST, before you start waging war on cell tower radiation.
Update: I just got this email through from Professor Kumar:
Thanks for your following email and saw the coverage on my report.
I have attached my brief report (9 pages including cover page) on ASSOCHAM’s International Health Conference on “Ensuring Public Health and Safety in the Mobile Industry during 7-8Feb. 2012 at Delhi. It gives details of what really happened in the meeting. The report is
also uploade and link is http://www.scribd.com/doc/89678269
You can share it with your known people.
Thank you very much for very very valuable information. We live near a land line telephone tower 150m away from it.. Would you please tell me the difference between cell phone towers radiation and land line towers radiation and is land line telephone tower as harmful as cell phone towers or not. Thanks for everythings. Lila
My understanding is that some phone companies make use of relay towers to transmit landline data, but it tends to be over short distances 20 to 30 miles which suggests the signals are not that strong. But I don’t know what form the signals take, I suspect they are the same as cell phone towers…pulsed RF radiation. But I’m guessing…sorry I can’t be more precise.
Thanks for the hard work you are doing in keeping this going.
Vinay Inani said,
We live near a mobile tower 100m away from it. can u suggest how we protect our house from its radiation our house is three stories building
I have written an article on how to protect your home from cell tower radiation, see https://www.electricsense.com/1299/cell-phone-tower-protection-tips-what-to-do-if-a-cell-phone-tower-is-erected-next-to-your-home/
Please let me know the grounding procedures to be deployed for anti radiation shielding with Alumunium sheet.
There are several ways to ground. The easiest is to connect a wire from your aluminum sheeting to the earth pin on the nearest wall socket on your home. Or you can buy a grounding rod. Its a metal rod you can buy from a big DIY store. You knock it into the ground outside and then connect it up with a wire to your alloy sheet. If you are not sure how to do this a qualified electrician will be able to help you. For more information on shielding, see https://www.electricsense.com/1299/cell-phone-tower-protection-tips-what-to-do-if-a-cell-phone-tower-is-erected-next-to-your-home/
Kisalay Mitra said,
I am very pleased to read your comments on the reports of Prof. Girish kumar , he is one of the Expert in India who is making war against Cell tower Radiation, I am getting help in many ways from him, I have plan to make a awareness programme among common public with Prof. Kumar.I will be in touch with you time to time.
I am also based in India…..living in Bangalore since a long time. I am in a rented house and there is a big and 3 small cell towers very near to my house. Please let me know how and what shielding material you deployed in your house so that I can also try for the same. Otherwise I have no option but to change my house.
Add A Comment