Electrical Safety Tips For Families

Lets put EMFs to one side for a moment and talk about electrical safety in the home. It's a serious matter that's often overlooked by even the most vigilant of parents.

Mums and Dads might think of the bigger things around the house that their children need protection from, like not touching a hot stove or not running around the pool. But many parents gloss over electrical safety. Tony Buonocore at Westway Electrical Supply has put together a guide to home electrical safety for families.

Read these precautions, learn about the fundamental electrical safety tips, and take steps to help prevent any unfortunate electrical incidents from occurring in your home:

Install Tamper-Resistant Electrical Outlets

tamper resistant electrical outlet for electrical safety“You've heard it all your life – don't stick your fingers into the electrical outlet! Children and toddlers don't always heed this warning. Plastic plugs help deter children from sticking their fingers or other objects into outlets, but they are easily removed, easily exposing children to the dangers of electrical currents.

Having tamper-resistant electrical outlets installed in your home provide an extra reassurance that your children are protected. These specialized outlets have receptacle plates covering the slots and remain closed until you insert a plug. If you have small children in your home and your house doesn’t already have these outlets, installing them can help protect your kids from electrical shocks and burns.

Limit The Use Of Extension Cords

Extension cords make it possible to plug a multitude of electrical components into one outlet. While they are extremely useful for busy homeowners who use a number of electronic devices on a daily basis, extension cords pose threats to babies and toddlers.

First and foremost, extension cords can be bulky and cause someone to trip. What's more, small children may be inclined to pull these bulky plugs aggressively from the wall. When you have to use extension cords, keep them tucked safely behind furniture to avoid attracting children's attention.

If you must use an extension, be careful not to overload it with appliances that emit a high wattage of energy. Never plug an extension cord into another, as this can quickly overheat. Instead, consider having more electrical outlets installed in your home.

Always Unplug The Correct Way

When you have to unplug an appliance, always pull on the plastic casing. Never pull directly by the cord, as this can cause damage to the appliance itself, to the socket, or cause electrical shock to you. As a parent, it is important for you to not only observe this correct method, but also teach it to your children so that they are protected.

Stop The Flow of Electricity Before Cleaning

If the appliance is turned off but plugged in, it is still connected to electricity. For this reason, you should always unplug an appliance before attempting to clean it. The most common appliance that needs cleaning is the toaster. If a piece of food gets stuck in yours, unplug the toaster before attempting to retrieve it. Just as it is important for you to teach your children the correct way to unplug, it's also of vital importance to teach them that electric currents still run through objects regardless of whether or not they are on. Focus on areas where these dangers are most present, as with kitchen and bathroom appliances.

Pay Attention to Any Warning Signals

As a homeowner, you have a lot to pay attention to! This is especially true if you have little ones running around. The structure and internal workings of your home might not always be on the forefront of your mind, but it's important to consider them every now and again. If any of the outlets in your home give off a burning scent, make buzzing sounds, or flash sparks, this is a sign that the electrical socket could be damaged or overloaded. Call an electrician if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

Be Mindful of Damaged Electrical Cords

Split wires and loose cords can cause major problems if not addressed right away. These not-so-typical items might entice a young child to play with them, as young children are very curious and will investigate anything that's new to them. Be mindful of the cords in your home. If you notice these or any other signs of wear, you should replace the electrical cord right away. In addition, keep an eye on cords on any older electronics, as these tend to wear faster and pose problems for homeowners.

Anchor Electronic Devices on a Steady and Level Surface

Lamps, televisions, and other bulky electronics should be safely anchored to the furniture they sit atop. Place lamps and a flat surface and be mindful of what they are placed near. Keep them away from objects that they can possibly burn, and always make sure that you are using bulbs that match the recommended wattage. Large flat screen televisions should be anchored to the furniture they are set upon, or to the wall behind them to prevent tipping incidents. When it comes to the plugs and cords these objects have, make sure they are tucked safely out of a child's reach so they cannot pull the object down onto themselves.

While it may be a bit scary to think about, electrical safety is important for families of all ages. Taking the initiative to prevent electrical problems will help keep your family safe and protected. Follow these tips and use common sense when practicing electrical safety in your home!”

Thanks to Tony for sharing this.

Could Cell Phones Be Causing Your Headaches, Chronic Sleep Issues, or Even Depression? Find Out How to Protect Yourself From Common EMF Problems...

Discover 21 Unique Ways to Live a Natural Healthy Life with my FREE EMF Protection Report. Just enter your name and best email address below to experience the best sleep of your life tonight…

You will also receive my free emails packed with EMF protection tips. Unsubscribe at any time.


  • andrew said,

    Mould proliferates when it is exposed to EMF. The mould thinks it is being attacked. It fires out lots and lots of spores and a 600 fold increase in mycotoxins. People have mould in there blood and mould in their cells. Cancer is mould. Some people have more mould than others. I think this is why some people are more electrosensitive than others.


  • Amy said,

    Do the plastic outlet covers used for toddler safety help reduce the amount of extra electricity in the house at all?

  • Lloyd Burrell said,

    Hi Amy, plastic outlet covers are designed to protect children from electrical shocks they do not protect you from the EMFs on your electrical system.

Add A Comment

Leave a Reply

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.