Today there are officially more cell phones in the world than people. GSMA’s real-time tracker  currently puts the number of mobile devices at a mind-blowing 8.4 billion.
To make these 8.4 billion cell phones function has required significant investment from the cell phone companies in infrastructure.
I’m talking cell towers.
Because without this everyone would be complaining, “I’ve got no signal!”.
This has meant more cell phone towers and more antenna’s on existing towers.
Cell towers have sprung up in virtually every nook and cranny of our communities. These cell towers may exist as free-standing towers or be mounted on existing structures, such as trees, or tall buildings. More recently, they have been erected in disguise as something else such as silos, cactus plants, church steeples, and so on.
Now we’ve got 5G and the Internet of Things (IoT) on the horizon which is promising consumers faster download speeds and yet more functionality (more on this below).
Guess what that means? More towers almost certainly. Great. So where’s the problem?
Cell Phone Radiation
Here’s the problem. Cell phones operate by sending and receiving radio frequency microwave radiation  from their antennas to a nearby cell tower. Cell towers, also known base stations or masts, are made up antennas and other electronic equipment that transmits this radio frequency (RF) radiation to enable cell phones to function. Without these masts, there would be no cellular telecommunication.
There are numerous reports from people living near these cell towers that these radiation exposures impact their health. But let’s look what the science say’s.
Cell Tower Radiation A Certified W.H.O. Carcinogen
In May 2011, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) at the World Health Organization (W.H.O.) evaluated and declared RF Radiation of the type transmitted between cell towers and cell phone as a Group 2B, ‘possible’ human carcinogen  
Many leading independent researchers are of the view that the classification of cell phone/cell tower radiation should be upgraded to ‘probable’ human carcinogen.
A number of studies have shown that people living close to cellular towers are exposed to higher levels of RF radiation compared to those farther away and that these exposures can adversely affect people’s health.
Cell Tower Increased Cancer Risk
In 2007, an Israeli  study was carried out to perform an investigative comparison between the incidences of cancer cases among individuals exposed to transmission from cell-phone stations and the baseline national incidence rate. The study found a significantly higher incidence rate of cancer in people living in closer proximity to a cell-phone station.
A German study  carried out to examine whether people living close to cellular transmitter antennas were more susceptible to developing malignant tumors discovered a significantly higher incidence of newly developing cancer cases among patients who had lived the past ten years at a distance of up to 400 meters from the cellular transmitter site compared to those living further away.
Living Close To A Cell Tower Increases Your Brain Cancer Risk
A number of studies have shown a relationship between proximity to fixed-state transmitters – Cell Towers – and the incidence of brain cancers.
In one study  carried out to analyze the relationship between cancer incidence and proximity (within 10km radius) to transmitter antennae made an important discovery. The researchers reported a significant decrease in risk for brain cancer with increasing distance from the transmitter.
Another study  a cross-sectional analysis was carried out to evaluate the incidence of brain cancer in people (less than 21 years) living within a 3.5km radius of an RF transmitter. The results obtained were compared with incidence rate obtained from a census result. The research found increase odds of brain cancer in people living 3.5km from the transmitter compared to those who didn’t.
These studies indicate that the closer you live to a cell tower the higher your risk of developing a brain tumor.
Cell Tower Radiation Inducing Leukemia – Blood Cancer
In 1996, Hocking et . al., carried out a study  to compare incidence and mortality of leukemia in nine different districts. Three districts were located close to TV transmitter towers “Inner Ring” and the other Six were distant “Outer Ring”. Data was collected on all ages and a generally higher rate of both incidence and mortality was observed in children – childhood leukemia.
The researchers discovered a significantly higher degree of both incidence and mortality in the “inner ring” compared to the “outer ring”. More alarming still, a more pronounced association was observed with mortality from leukemia than incidence.
Cell Tower Radiation Can Cause DNA Damage – A Precursor To Cancer
A recent study  was conducted on people residing within the vicinity of mobile phone base stations, to evaluate the effects of RF radiation from cell towers on peoples DNA and the antioxidant status of their blood.
The study found that people living closer (within 80 meters) of cell towers had significantly increased damage to blood cells compared to people living farther away (over 300 meters).
The scientists concluded that their study “…demonstrated that staying near the mobile base stations and continuous use of mobile phones damage the DNA, and it may have an adverse effect in the long run.”
They went on to say that, “the persistence of DNA unrepaired damage leads to genomic instability which may lead to several health disorders including the induction of cancer.”
RF Radiation Linked To Different Types Of Cancer
The carcinogenic effects of environmental radiation from cell towers are not limited to the brain cells or the blood.
An epidemiological review of existing publications  on the cancerous effects of RF radiation exposure reported the incidence of numerous different types of cancer including; Breast cancer, Testicular Cancer, Lung cancer, Ocular Melanoma amongst others.
This was not a study on cell tower radiation specifically but the implication that cell tower radiation could also cause these other types of cancer is a very real possibility.
RF Radiation Exposures Linked To Other Serious Diseases
Asides inducing cancer, RF Radiation has been implicated in many other deleterious health effects including; Cardiovascular Diseases , Infertility , Birth defects , Memory Problems  , Sleep Disorders  to name but a few.
Particularly, environmental RF radiation has been associated with stress.
A series of studies by Augner C. [16,17] showed that people living around ( within a 100-meter radius) of Cell Phone Towers had higher levels of biochemical stress markers. This indicates that people living around Cell Phone Towers are more stressed than those who don’t. In one of the studies , the conclusion was that; “…self-declared base station neighbors are more strained [stressed] than others.”
The adverse effects of stress on human health is immeasurable, there are many diseases and disorders with known association with stress , e.g. Asthma, Coronary Heart Diseases, Depression, Cataracts, Alzheimer, Diabetes, Obesity, Accelerated Aging, just to mention a few.
RF Radiation Irradiates Your Brain Cells
Cell phones can be considered as accomplices, even major facilitators of the health hazards of RF Radiation. An Israeli study  explains, ‘cell phone broadcasts occur specifically at frequencies at which the head serves as an antenna and brain tissue serves as a demodulating radio receiver.’
This implies that high amounts of RF radiation transmitted between mobile phones and their towers are absorbed and retained in brain cells; literally irradiating the brain cells.
Perhaps, this is why Brain Cancers are one of the most clinically significant health effects of RF radiation.
Cell Towers Near Schools And Kindergartens Of Particular Concern
An Australian study  found that cell towers near schools significantly increased exposure of kindergartens to RF Radiation. The researchers utilized body worn dosimeters for measurement of the radiation. Children schooling nearby (within 300 meters) of cell towers had a total exposure RF radiation about 3.5 times higher than children with cell towers further away.
As a parent, you should know that exposure to the RF emissions from cell towers erected in or near you kids school is of particular concern because research shows that children are far more vulnerable  to these radiation exposures.
It Only Gets Worse
The telecommunication industry is in the process of introducing the new and powerful 5G technology and the IoT. This technology is planned to use higher frequencies some of which are effective transmitted only over a short distance and are poorly transmitted through solid materials. This will probably mean more antenna’s; full-scale implementation could require at least one antenna per every 10 to 12 houses in urban areas! I wrote an extensive article on the dangers of 5G radiation .
More than 180 scientists and doctors from 35 countries , have recommended a moratorium on the introduction of 5G technology until its potential hazards on human health and the environment have been fully investigated by scientists independent of the telecommunication industry.
You might also want to read my article on 5G towers .
Can Cell Tower Radiation Really Cause Cancer?
The telecommunication industry say’s we’ve nothing to worry about. That these exposures are at very low levels.
It is true, these exposures are at very low levels. No one is disputing that. But cell towers function 24/7 with an intermittent but persistent pulsed radiation emission. It’s this cumulative exposure over time which poses a problem.
You don’t have to take my word for it. That’s why I laid out the evidence above, so you can make your own mind up.
Clearly it’s not just about cancer. Radiation from cell towers has the potential to cause so many different diseases.
Alternatives to cell towers are available; Fiber Optic Broadband Technology, for instance is a feasible and safer alternative. I believe technological improvement can be achieved without compromising global public health.
I also wrote an extensive article on cell phone tower radiation protection , that’s to say what you can do to protect yourself if you live in proximity to a cell tower.
- Bhatt CR, Redmayne M, Billah B, Abramson MJ, Benke G. Radiofrequency-electromagnetic field exposures in kindergarten children. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2018 Feb 1]; 27: 497–504. doi: 10.1038/jes.2016.55.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27759027
- Baan R, Grosse Y, Lauby-Secretan B, El Ghissassi F, Bouvard V, Benbrahim-Tallaa L, Guha N, Islami F, Galichet L, Straif K. Carcinogenicity of radiofrequency electromagnetic fields. Lancet Oncol [Internet]. 2011; 12: 624–6. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70147-4. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(11)70147-4/fulltext
- Wolf R, Wolf D. Increased incidence of cancer near a cell-phone transmitted station. Trends cancer Prev. 2007; 1: 1–8.https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ee87/d78a4b9c12983b0cbeff1df69e535a6a6f6a.pdf
- Horst Eger, Klaus Uwe Hagen, Birgitt Lucas, Peter Vogel, Helmut Voit. The Influence of Being Physically Near to a Cell Phone Transmission Mast on the Incidence of Cancer. Umwelt·Medizin·Gesellschaft [Internet]. 2004 [cited 2018 Feb 1]; 17: 326–32. Available from: http://www.wifiinschools.com/uploads/3/0/4/2/3042232/eger_2004.pdf
- Selvin S, Schulman J, Merrill DW. Distance and risk measures for the analysis of spatial data: A study of childhood cancers. Soc Sci Med [Internet]. 1992; 34: 769–77. doi: 10.1016/0277-9536(92)90364-V.http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/027795369290364V
- Dolk H, Elliott P, Shaddick G, Walls P, Thakrar B. Cancer incidence near radio and television transmitters in Great Britain. 2. All high power transmitters. Am J Epidemiol. 1997; 145: 10–7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8982017
- Hocking B, Gordon IR, Grain HL, Hatfield GE. Cancer incidence and mortality and proximity to TV towers. Med J Aust. 1996; 165: 601–5.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8985435
- Zothansiama, Zosangzuali M, Lalramdinpuii M, Jagetia GC. Impact of radiofrequency radiation on DNA damage and antioxidants in peripheral blood lymphocytes of humans residing in the vicinity of mobile phone base stations. Electromagn Biol Med [Internet]. Taylor & Francis; 2017; 36: 295–305. doi: 10.1080/15368378.2017.1350584. https://doi.org/10.1080/15368378.2017.1350584
- Ahlbom A, Green A, Kheifets L, Savitz D, Swerdlow A. Epidemiology of health effects of radiofrequency exposure [Internet]. Environmental Health Perspectives. National Institute of Environmental Health Science; 2004 [cited 2018 Feb 4]. p. 1741–54. doi: 10.1289/ehp.7306. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15579422
- Weinberger Z, Richter ED. Cellular telephones and effects on the brain: The head as an antenna and brain tissue as a radio receiver [Internet]. Medical Hypotheses. 2002. p. 703–5. doi: 10.1016/S0306-9877(02)00298-0. http://www.avaate.org/IMG/pdf/resonancia_craneo_Israel.pdf
- 180scientists. Scientists warn of potential serious health effects of 5G [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 2]. Available 2018 Feb 2, from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B14R6QNkmaXuelFrNWRQcThNV0U/view
- Hayes DL, Wang PJ, Reynolds DW, Estes M, Griffith JL, Steffens RA, Carlo GL, Findlay GK, Johnson CM. Interference with cardiac pacemakers by cellular telephones. N Engl J Med [Internet]. Massachusetts Medical Society; 1997 [cited 2018 Feb 5]; 336: 1473–9. doi: 10.1056/NEJM199705223362101. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9154765
- Naziroǧlu M, Yüksel M, Köse SA, Özkaya MO. Recent reports of Wi-Fi and mobile phone-induced radiation on oxidative stress and reproductive signaling pathways in females and males [Internet]. Journal of Membrane Biology. 2013 [cited 2017 Dec 25]. p. 869–75. doi: 10.1007/s00232-013-9597-9. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24105626
- Divan HA, Kheifets L, Obel C, Olsen J. Prenatal and postnatal exposure to cell phone use and behavioral problems in children. Epidemiology [Internet]. 2008 [cited 2017 Dec 27]; 19: 523–9. doi: 10.1097/EDE.0b013e318175dd47. http://journals.lww.com/epidem/Abstract/2008/07000/Prenatal_and_Postnatal_Exposure_to_Cell_Phone_Use.1.aspx
- Hutter H-P, Moshammer H, Wallner P, Kundi M. Subjective symptoms, sleeping problems, and cognitive performance in subjects living near mobile phone base stations. Occup Environ Med [Internet]. BMJ Publishing Group Ltd; 2006 [cited 2018 Feb 5]; 63: 307–13. doi: 10.1136/oem.2005.020784. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16621850
- Augner C, Hacker GW. Are people living next to mobile phone base stations more strained? Relationship of health concerns, self-estimated distance to base station, and psychological parameters. Indian J Occup Environ Med [Internet]. 2009 [cited 2017 Dec 25]; 13: 141–5. doi: 10.4103/0019-5278.58918. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20442833
- Augner C, Hacker GW, Oberfeld G, Florian M, Hitzl W, Hutter J, Pauser G. Effects of exposure to GSM mobile phone base station signals on salivary cortisol, alpha-amylase, and immunoglobulin A. Biomed Environ Sci [Internet]. 2010 [cited 2017 Dec 25]; 23: 199–207. doi: 10.1016/S0895-3988(10)60053-0. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20708499
- WebMD. 10 Stress-Related Health Problems That You Can Fix [Internet]. [cited 2018 Feb 3]. Available 2018 Feb 3, from https://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/features/10-fixable-stress-related-health-problems#1
- GSMAs real time tracker. [cited 2018 Feb 3]. Available 2018 Feb 3, from https://www.gsmaintelligence.com/