May 11, 2018
We are moving house at the moment and have seen a nice place except it is under power lines (UK) and so I started looking into whether this was a bad thing.
I have seen people saying that 0.4uT is bad for a magnetic field so I went out with a gauss meter app to measure fields around the house, but all I’m reading is a constant ~45uT everywhere I go which I have read is the Earths magnetic field. Is that right? Even the UK gov says that 0.04uT to 0.2uT is normal inside a home but I’m getting the same ~45uT everywhere.
Any advice appreciated.
August 17, 2014
Hi allenp, welcome to the forum.
Your gaussmeter should be detecting only alternating magnetic fields from power lines, appliances, domestic wiring etc. It should not be picking up the Earth’s magnetic field, which for practical purposes is static. The spec for the meter should tell you its frequency range.
Some of this information might help you decide what to do. There’s information about power lines here https://www.electricsense.com/…..the-facts/ and in the Powerwatch library http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/l…../index.asp. Also some recent publications on issues with power frequency magnetic fields and connections with ALS and cancer (eg http://microwavenews.com/short…..ld-effects. Microwave news has several articles on power frequency fields). Power frequency magnetic fields were cancer classified 2B (possible carcinogen) by IARC in 2002(?) based largely on leukemia risks.
A few years ago when I was looking for a house I rejected at least two because they were too close to power lines. (Note this was a personal decision and should not be construed as advice).