September 23, 2018
Using a Liumy LM7001, I detect 10 uT (25 times safe limit) magnetic radiation a metre from my mains electricity box. It isn’t using a smartmeter. Strangely I detect 8 uT near the cables that run from the box up the wall to go around the house, EVEN WHEN THE MAINS IS SWITCHED OFF! I am guessing the cables act like an aerial and are picking up RF from external sources?
Anyway, I have put galvanized steel sheet over the cables and also around the box. But this does not work. Readings are similar, perhaps higher. I’ve earthed it all. So I would like suggestions of what to do, should I get absorbent RF material (suggestions, I’m in Lancs, UK)? I’ve recently moved here, it is a terraced house so lots of houses close by (probably with smart meters) but a few hundred yards from phone mast, and this room is my Reiki room and I hope to get rid of all EMF. Help!
August 17, 2014
Hello edjog and welcome to the forum.
It appears that you are measuring the magnetic field from the mains box. It’s not clear why there should be a magnetic field when there is no current flowing. Are there any other wires nearby which might be active?
Magnetic fields are very hard to screen – conventional materials (including metals) are generally not helpful. There should be information on the main site here about this. There is one product, mumetal, which can deflect the fields, but I think it might be tricky to install correctly. Again there is probably information on the main site or elsewhere on the internet.
Elevated magnetic fields can also be caused by wiring errors……..
In general magnetic fields seem hard to deal with – good luck, and do let us know if you find the source and any successful remedial measures.
September 23, 2018
Thanks for your reply, Peter. According the electrician, the wiring of the house is all OK. There aren’t any active wires near the cables that are acting like an aerial. The mains comes in from under the street which is the other side of the wall where the mains box is. The only other cable from outside is a Virgin cable but that comes from the footpath and is at skirting board level around the house. It’s not in use.
So all I can think of is that the cables running up the wall are acting as an aerial. The radiation happens intermittently. I found there wasn’t any for a few minutes this morning about 9.15am. But every other time I measured it, it was fairly constant, only dropping away for a few seconds at a time. The nearest phone mast is 500 metres away and not in line of sight with at least two full houses-worth of dense material (walls) between us. Phone signal is poor. I think it’s more likely that rf from smart meters is being picked up. I’m new to this house so don’t know neighbours yet but I will find out how many have smartmeters.
I’ll also warn everyone about sitting next to their mains box. I read about the mu-metal and that’s not an option for me, so I’ll have to put up with the radiation. If I can stay at least a metre away from that corner of the room, I should be alright. It’s a concern though that as more people get smartmeters, more people who don’t have them or don’t want them will still be exposed to stronger and stronger radiation picked up by their household wiring.
Most Users Ever Online: 176
Currently Browsing this Page:
Peter Williamson: 43
Arthur Fomalhaut: 12
Guest Posters: 2
Newest Members:MJ, EMFguy, Saba, OldHotRod, brjarrard, bnsh8, Anonymous, appleannie, ivahidmontazer, sarahk
Moderators: Wifikid: 16, officeman: 0, WiFi96: 4, Peter Williamson: 119, peter williamson: 189
Administrators: Lloyd Burrell: 68, Lloyd backup: 0, Shabab: 0, shabab-test: 0